Sunday, October 13, 2013

Bringing Back the Blog

Well, it happened sooner than I would have liked, but the blog is back.  My last scan showed an enlarged lymph node in my left groin (opposite side from where it was originally found), and a needle biopsy done this past week showed it to be positive for cancer.  Still no idea what KIND of cancer, but cancer none-the-less.  So treatment begins on Thursday.

Now I had really hoped to make it clear through this year so that I could go to  Disney and enjoy the holidays without having to work around a chemo schedule, but seems that dream was in the pipes.  What my doctor did agree to, however, is modify my first treatment to only include the 5 (again, aptly named) FU.  The hope is, while we know the 5FU will probably not kill the cancer that exists, it will keep it from growing further, thus putting me into a sort of holding period until I get back from Disney in November.  I will start full blown treatment November 22nd.

I have told my boss and those needed within my new company of the news, and they have graciously agreed to work with me so that I can continue to work while getting treatment.  Now that I know what I'm up against, I fully believe I can continue to do my job effectively, with some concessions.  I will need to work from home the week I have the pump in me (although I'm planning on a different schedule from last time, so I will have two days of the weekend in the mix, making it so I only have to work 3 days from home during the pump cycle).  I know it will not be easy, but I also know I don't want to spend all my days at home.  I want to live my life, even if that means living through treatment. 

As my doctor said, we knew this was coming.  We know the statistics.  And I had nearly 9 months of remission, and 7 months of being treatment free.  We know what's possible, and now all I have to do is kick it down again, and again, and again, until they either find a cure, or find another drug that will allow me to live with this horrid, wretched, disease until I'm very, very old.  That's where my mind is.  That's how I choose to look at things.  I hope you can as well, because the more normal my life can be through times of treatment, the more cancer is going to realize it doesn't stand a chance.

xo,
Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lisa. You are so brave and determined. I am sorry that you and your family are being tested like this. But if anyone can get through it again it is you. I will be thinking about you every day. Stay positive, and as you say "cancer is going to realize it doesn't stand a chance".

    ReplyDelete