Friday, June 14, 2013

One Year Cancerversary

Next week marks the one year date from the call that changed my life.  My cancerversary.  Little did I know that day would reveal the actual diagnosis.  Cancer of an Unknown Primary.  I didn't know anything about it before I was diagnosed.  I had never heard of it.  I know a lot about it now, but still have so many questions.  Questions that cannot be answered at this point in time.  As my doc said last year, we don't want to know what kind of cancer it is because that means it has spread.  Last year I knew my chances were slim, but I also knew that if I could get through certain milestones, my chances would improve.  Responding to treatment was one - that means it's probably not pancreatic cancer.  Consistently improving with treatment - probably not lung cancer.  Remission - confirms what I've known about myself all along.  I'm a fighter.  I have faith in that. 

I could not have gotten through the past year without the unbelievable support of my family and my friends. With them, my spirits have been lifted, my mind has been occupied, my cares have been wiped away.  They have assisted me when I've needed it; distracted me when it all became so overwhelming; hugged me when I cried; drank with me when I needed to forget. I am surrounded by so much love and strength, and for that I will forever be grateful. 

I don't know how I will handle next week, but I do know that next weekend is a jam-packed weekend for the Delaney family.  It is a weekend that includes four fabulous friends that I can never, ever repay for the strength, love, laughter, and support they have given me this past year.  Four fabulous friends, one amazing family, and the innocence of children at two birthday parties for three 5 year olds. 

There is no better way to spend your one year cancerversary.


xo,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment